[Declined] Luchelle - Ret paladin
Personal Information

Name: Chris

Nationality: British

Battletag: ThePants999#2462

Tell us a little bit about yourself, who are you, what do you do etc.
My day job is managing a team of software engineers, and I bring both the logical problem solving skills and the people handling skills to raiding. Though, frankly, I’m looking forward to leaving the people handling skills at work.

I wrote a guide to raid leading, which is stickied on Blizzard’s forums. https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17613201523 That doesn’t mean I’m going to start trying to tell you how to do your jobs, though. I mean, I’m the one whose guild just died.

I have a little kid, which is why I’m now just a lowly GM in my current guild instead of the much more senior job of RL.

I like forums. I read forums a lot. I post on forums a lot. I nag people to use forums more. I’ll probably stop that last bit now.

I’m a total lardass. Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake.

---

Character Information

Name: Luchelle

Class: Paladin

Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/charac...g/luchelle

Mainspec (artifact traits): Ret (54)

Offspec (artifact traits): Holy (52), Prot (52)

Why do you play this class and role? I play paladin because I like to play a class that can perform all three roles in order to be maximally useful. I main DPS because I feel I have the most to offer there, although I mained a disc priest for a few years and know my way around a healing toolkit.

Explain your reasoning behind your character choices (why did you pick your current talents and what gearing/stat priority do you go for)

TALENTS
T15: Much as I wish this tier offered genuine choice, tuning is such that FV is the only choice.
T30 & T60: Greater Judgment is a dead talent because of a combination of mastery being a poor stat for us and Judge Unworthy removing much of the value. Virtue’s Blade just isn’t powerful enough even with high crit. On AoE fights, we take TFoJ because most of our damage comes from Divine Storm and maximising HoPo generation does more for us than Zeal’s small amount of cleave; we take Divine Hammer because even post-nerf, it’s still a big damage increase on multiple targets that outweighs the HoPo loss. On single target fights, we take Zeal and BoW because Zeal does more damage than CS, and the BoW procs mean we don’t have enough spare GCDs to make use of TFoJ’s reduced CS cooldown.
T45: rarely relevant for raiding, but on the rare occasion a fight benefits from one of these - e.g. Blinding Light being useful as an AoE interrupt on Chronomatic Anomaly - I’ll pick that.
T75: JV is a significant DPS loss and the heal doesn’t make up for that. I’ve occasionally used WoG where raid off-healing is valuable, e.g. Il’gynoth 8-stack explosions. In general, a 35% physical defensive on a 1-minute CD is a much stronger choice, even if it’s on the GCD.
T90: while I’d happily consider Judgment of Light if the raid wanted it, the Ret version of the talent generally doesn’t offer enough healing to be worthwhile. I pick Cavalier on fights where I have a specific need for double pony, but default to Divine Intervention - primarily because it allows me to make a mistake and learn from it without everyone having to pay for it :-)
T100: DEUS VULT

STATS
Sims, yo. Crit, haste and versatility are all relatively close in value and fluctuate around each other on single target fights; crit pulls ahead in AoE, so no reason not to take it. Also allows for sharing more gear with holy which wants ALL THE CRIT.

GEARING
Much of my gear is simply the highest ilvl available to me as stat weights are relatively close to each other, although in some slots I've opted for a slight ilvl drop to avoid mastery. Keeping 2pc T19 sims higher than even Mythic offpieces in those slots. Legendaries are BiS taking the need for 2pc T19 into account. Trinkets get swapped per fight, though the current pair are my pick for all fights except Harjatan and Mistress given the options I currently have.

Give us some examples of how your class and/or talent choices makes you more valuable on specific encounters.
Bubble lets me solo certain abilities like Rain of Brimstone on Goroth, Touch of Sargeras / Dark Mark on Avatar, or Armageddon Hail on KJ. BoP lets anyone become a KJ soaker. Hand of Hindrance can be useful if a tadpole escapes the pack on Harjatan. Strong single-target stun for KJ second intermission. And although the question said "specific encounters", you'll often see me save the day with LoH, or bubbletaunt a boss that's close to death when the tanks are down :-)

---

Raiding

Tell us a little bit about your raiding experience:
I've raided with my current guild throughout my WoW career, first as a raider, then officer, then raid leader, then guild master. They were at the extreme casual end of the spectrum when I first joined, taking months to down normal Sindragosa! It's better now ;-)
T10: 13/13N
T11: 12/12N
T12: 7/7N, 1/7H
T13: 8/8N, 4/8H
T14: 14/16N
T15: 12/12N, 1/12H
At this point I took over as raid leader.
T16: 14/14N, 13/14H
T17: 7/7M, 5/10M
T18: 13/13M
T19: 7/7M, 2/3M, 9/10M
T20: 9/9H, 1/9M

I know that Aetherium is a step up from there, but I’ve always played well above the level of my current guild; where some people would have hopped up through guilds to reach their ideal fit, I’ve spent years trying instead to drag my guild up to my level. That was probably silly. Either way, I know I can perform at the level you need.

What makes you a valuable asset to a raiding team?
I’m reliable, punctual, communicative, committed and loyal. I devour boss information and tactics discussions like they’re my only source of nutrition, and I’m as prepared as it is possible to be for every raid night. I contribute to tactics discussions when I have useful input, I can do a lethal put-down when it’s called for, and I shut up when that’s appropriate. I like to think I’m fun to raid with. My DPS is Mythic-appropriate, though is and will always be a work in progress. But most of all, I execute. I do the mechanics right, I don’t die, I don’t cause wipes, and if God forbid I ever do, I identify why and I fucking fix it, sharp. I’m not happy unless I’m at 100% on the survivability chart.

What steps do you take to ensure you play your class to the full extent of its capabilities?
I keep abreast of theorycrafting via the paladin Discord, sites like The Silver Hand and forums like MMO-Champion. Mostly, though, I analyse my logs and compare myself to the top performers to see what I'm getting wrong. For example, I've noticed I have a tendency to be over-optimistic about whether I can get another spell off within the Judgment window, and thereby losing the mastery buff on finishers sometimes, so I've just developed some WeakAuras to attempt to train myself into not doing that.

What will your attendance be, can we rely on you to be there for progression? Are there any factors that may impede you to attend that we should know about?
The only raids I’ve missed in the last seven years have been illness or holiday. If my boss says “I need you to stay late tonight” then I say “raid night, bitch!” and slap him with a calendar. I've had literally 100% attendance some tiers.

Are you familiar with being in a Mythic raiding guild and the environment. Are you familiar with rotating people and ”benching”’. What are your thoughts on this?
Absolutely. As a raid leader committed to fairly applying my own rules, I've rotated myself out on a regular basis, and benched myself when we were struggling with a fight and my class brought nothing to it. I'd be disappointed to miss a large proportion of a tier, but if I'm rotated out for a night or benched for a particular boss where my class is useless, you won't hear a peep out of me. And if you bench me because I'm underperforming as a player, I'm going to be upset with MYSELF, not you.

Please provide logs showing your competence as a player. If you don’t have any logs, please explain why.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/e...g/luchelle - Nighthold is a bit better reflective of my performance than ToS so far, as I’ve spent the last month mostly watching everyone else to try to see who was fucking up :-(

I’m conscious that my DPS isn’t currently world-class; I’m looking forward to getting properly stuck into fixing that now I’m no longer spending my time separating arguing raiders and browsing recruitment forums. Look beyond the raw damage -
from logs like https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9JX...s&cutoff=4 you'll see I execute better than a warrior with Ayala’s Stone Heart.

---

Miscellaneous

Do you have a functioning microphone? I have two. Y'know, just in case. :-)

Are you familiar using Teamspeak? I'm even somewhat familiar with administering a Teamspeak server.

Why do you wish to join Aetherium? What I want out of WoW is to spend a couple of nights a week playing the game with a great bunch of people, while feeling the sense of achievement that comes with clearing genuinely hard content after appropriately lengthy struggle - while NOT having a lengthy struggle on content that is not genuinely hard. From your description, it sounds like that's you! Also, raid times that suit me well.

How did you come across our Guild? Looking through WoWprogress for guilds that matched what I'm looking for.

---

Last but not least

Why should we be accepting you to the guild? What makes you a better investment than other applicants? Sell yourself to us.
As an ex-raid leader, I know exactly why your favourite raiders are your favourites, and I know exactly what your least favourites do to piss you off. I do all the good things, and none of the bad things. So give me a few weeks, and I’ll be one of your favourites.

If you want someone vocal who helps analyse why we're wiping and identify improvements, I've got an awful lot of experience doing that. If you want someone to shut up and do what they're told, I'm happy to do that too.

I'll raise the average quality of piss-taking in Teamspeak, and provide plenty of opportunities for you to take the piss out of me.

Sometimes I sing. Wait, that's not selling myself. Ignore that.
Addendum: I'd be delighted to hop on your TS server and chat, especially if there's anything in this app that makes you go "hmmm"!
Heya Luchelle,

Thanks for your interest, we'll get back to you within a few days.
[Image: VYWPRir.gif]
Offered a social position for now.
[Image: VYWPRir.gif]
Thanks for considering me! After some pondering I decided I needed to keep scratching the raiding itch, so I've wound up in another guild. But I'm on The Maelstrom now, so if you find yourself needing a ret at some point in future, poke me!
That's an itch that never seems to go away! All the best to you with your new endeavour Luchelle, hopefully we'll cross paths again some day!